Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Fall Sewing

Last night I cut and overcast the brown fabric in this pattern. The pattern is from the 1990's as you can tell by the blouses but I love the skirt. I am making the middle version. I have to put in the zipper and then the waistband, hem and done. With the overcast machine a lot of steps are removed as I can combine them with this machine. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to make the skirt from cutting to finishing.

When I went shopping for fabric I forgot my list of measurements needed in the trunk of the car. So I guessed knowing the skirt took a lot, but I forgot it was wide fabric and I  now have enough to make a straight skirt as well!

This is the blouse pattern I am making. The pattern was given to me by a friend who was cleaning out her sewing space. At the time I didn't know she was dieing of cancer. She has been gone at least two years now. She always had her clothes sewn for her and was elegant in style. This is a wrap blouse. I cut out black fabric also given to me by another source, and overcast it and did the tailor tacks last night. I need black interfacing ( from mom) before I can go on.
I finished this little outfit for my new little grandchild, arriving in January. It is a newborn size, which I rarely make.
I picked up some pink floral plates on the weekend.

It tend to draw your eyes more to the closet. I needed pink accents to do this. The flea market fellow gave me a deal on them as there were only two of this type with a ring of flowers in the middle. The rest of the same make all have a single flower in the middle. Not sure if I am going to get more or not.

 I also bought these handles for the sewing desk on Sunday. I like them, mostly because of the roses, but they were not cheap. I need six more to match on my antique dresser! There are handles on the dresser now, so all shall have to wait.

I pulled four zucchini out the garden this morning and sheaded it for winter baking. I need to get the beans out today, but the mosquitoes are bad down there this morning. We must be getting some rain tonight. I shall not complain over that.

Seems I have a chest infection, hence my moods these last few days. Dearest said it is stress, and I need to take it easy. Just but my in a paper box and ship me to a destination!

7 comments:

Paula said...

I think I had that skirt pattern in the past too :) I like the middle skirt. Can't wait to see it finished. I cut out a new dress yesterday and messed up cutting out the skirt. Had to have mom run to town and get me 2 more metres :P

Gill - That British Woman said...

love that skirt.

Gill

Keeper of the Past said...

I like your new skirt pattern. Your sewing room is really nice, love the new plates.
If you get rain...when you are done with it...send it my way...
The baby outfit is so cute. You knitted that up pretty fast with all the other things that you have been working on.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Do take care of that infection I cannot imagine where the stress is coming from:) Rest my dear you deserve it. Hugs

Tina Leigh said...

Well there wasn't one thing in this post I didn't like! I love the patterns you're using! They are timeless in my opinion. Love your nook of pretties!
So what kind of beans did you plant? Our garden is long gone...dog days are bad. The beets remind me oh my grammie. She lived in Bridgewater Maine til she passed in December.

simplicityinthemaking said...

Thanks Tina. I have been sewing today. Fisihed the skirt and just need to put the sleeves on the top. beans! well mostly bush green beans Montanaro they are called. I also have pole beans but the racoon got to a few rows this year before they really took. I also have beans that have a red flower. So far the flowering part but no beans. Bummer!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy, result in I discovered just what I was
taking a look for. You've ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

Here is my web blog: Long haul trucking insurance